Policy for Lost, Damaged and Stolen Books/Literature in HNU
Fines for the Lost Library Materials
1. Lost library materials must be reported to the circulation desk before the due date. Compensation formalities are required. 10 RMB per item will be charged as processing fee if the book of the same edition can be compensated.
2. According to Measures on Book Overdue in Hunan University Library, a fine of 10 yuan as processing fee will be charged. Besides, following charges will be charged for the lost library materials:
a. Collectors edition shall be compensated at the price of 10 times of the original price;
b. Ordinary reference books shall be compensated at the price of 5 times of the original price;
c. Ordinary borrowings shall be compensated at the price of 2 times of the original price;
d. Reference books (including dictionaries, manuals, yearbooks and rhyme books) shall be compensated at the price of no less than 5 times of the original price referring to the above compensation standards;
e. If parts of multi-volume books, books in series, or serial publications are lost, a fine will be charged referring to the above standards if the volume can be purchased separately. Otherwise, a fine valuing from 3 to 10 times of the original price of the full set will be charged. If one issue of a journal is lost, a fine valuing from 3 to 10 times of the original price of this journal for the whole year will be charged.
3. If the lost book is found or the exact edition is purchased by the reader within a month after compensation, he/she can get a full refund of the compensation except the processing fee while presenting the receipt.
Fines for Damaged Books
1. Readers shall check the books before borrowing. In order to make the responsibility clear, readers shall report to librarians immediately if some pages are damaged or missing.
2. Readers shall be fined based on the following standards if making notes, marking, scribbling on the books, or rolling, tearing up and damaging books:
a) For tearing up or clipping more than 5 pages of collector's-edition or reference books, the reader shall compensate 10 times of the original price, and 5 times of the original price if less than 5 pages; for tearing up or clipping more than 5 pages of ordinary borrowings, the reader shall compensate 2 times of the original price, and 1 time of the original price if less than 5 pages;
b) For making notes, marking, or scribbling on collectors-edition or reference books for more than 5 pages, the reader shall compensate 5 times of the original price, and 3 times of the original price if less than 5 pages; for making notes, marking, or scribbling on ordinary borrowings for more than 5 pages, the reader shall compensate 1 time of the original price, and half of the original price if less than 5 pages.
Punishment on Stealing Books
After handing the stolen book, the book burglar shall also be fined according to Regulations on Compensation for Lost Books. His/her borrowing card shall be sequestrated to cease the borrowing right for more than one semester. In addition, he/she shall be asked to do self-criticism and his/her reflections to be kept on file and also be criticized by the library. The library shall notify his/her college and department to carry out punishment based on regulations and rules of Hunan University. For those whose behavior is serious, Security Office of Hunan University will be involved to deal with it.